Friday, November 30, 2007

Phylial Piety




It’s true. I’m a mammal. And, as such, I recognize that I’ve heretofore been guilty of a somewhat heavy mammalian bias on the site. I don’t know if it’s the fur, the babies, or the binocular vision, but whatever the case, I want here to apologize to all those other phyla (we’re a phylum, right?) that are also deserving of recognition. In Andisibe, for instance, there were many interesting insects and reptiles. Here pictured are some massive green pill-bugs, a bright red millipede, and the world’s largest chameleon. (Stay tuned for the Nosy Mangabe post to see the world’s smallest chameleon!)

(PS - The videos are still going to come some day. But please don't hold your breath. Also, I've dropped the quality (computerwise) of the images a bit. Let me know if the sacrifice in favor of quantity over quality is too much for you.)

4 comments:

Ken and Micheline said...

stunning! there must be a way to make jewelry from the pillbugs....but the chameleon is my favorite...definitely more chameleons please!

Anonymous said...

I had the same response as mom to the chameleon...

Anonymous said...

But what about some scale pictures so we can see how big your new parrot-type lizard friend

Abe said...

Scales! Of Course! I didn't get close enough for a tape-measure, but the adult males of the species are usually around 50 cm long.