Thursday, November 1, 2007

Antananarivo!





So I think that's the right number of "nana"s. I'm posting now from Madagascar's beautiful, somehow-Mediterranean capital, where the houses wend up through red-dust hillsides and the meat of choice is zebu. I'm only spending a couple days here before heading East, but I've been very happy so far. The markets are flush with people packing in sausages and eating some of the half-dozen mango varieties; the scenery is full of long vistas, with rice paddies and fish farms in the distance; and the history, which involves a great king (named Andrianampoinimerinandriantsimitoviaminandriampanjaka) and a crazy queen (his daughter in law) who threw Christians off of the cliffside (see picture) next to her palace, provides the place with a nice mix of local customs and French influence (croissants!).

2 comments:

MissInformation said...

Did Andrianampoinimerinandriantsimitoviaminandriampanjaka have a nickname? Thanks for the baby monkeys!

Ben said...

Abe, thank you for this. I'm enjoying seeing African cities, in particular.

Apparently he also went by "Andrianapoinimerina" and sometimes "Nampoina." (I looked him up on Wikipedia.) If I were a Christian and had to be thrown off a cliff, I would be proud to be thrown by the wife of someone with such a great name and legacy.