Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Shiver me timbers!






After Toamasina, I headed up the coast, by bus, to Fenoarive, the capital of clove production for the country. I wish my camera could pick up the smell that pervaded the dirt paths around the town, as it was everywhere intense. Fenoarive was also the first town to be established by pirates, who have a strong legacy in the country. I biked to the original outpost, but, as you can see, it’s mostly forest at this point, and the bridge is out (I took some logs across), though still quite lovely. Across the water, though, on Isle Sainte Marie, there are still the remains of an old pirate cemetery. It was from this wee island that pirates, including, at one point, the famous Captain Kidd, raided the holdings of the Dutch East Indian Company.

1 comment:

Ken and Micheline said...

I'm back in the US & these are the first images ever viewed on my new computer (screen the size of Cineplex)...overwhelming - I am in among the trees. Never realised pirates had their own towns and presumably law-abiding communities. And believed in God, or at least in prayer, as the tombstone inscription implies.